Blogger Newbie

Feel free to read, enjoy and comment on my blog. I will be blogging weekly regarding articles from my Masters class at Rhode Island College.

Talk to you soon.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Promising Practices

I have to say I wasn't too sure how I would feel about going to a conference on a Saturday morning, especially being up all night with Ireland who was sick.  But I did enjoy it and surprisingly learned some strategies to bring into my classroom.  It was also good to have some adult conversations. 
Workshop 1- Analyzing the Inclusivity of the School Environment with Photos
   Very interesting.  Our presenters had taken pictures of areas around the RIC campus and asked us to interpret what we were viewing and how it made us feel.  I think this is a great activity for junior high students.  It gets them involved and they have a chance to hear and see others people perspective on things.  This can work with anyone of the cultures I teach.  Presenting visuals of people, places and things and ask my students what they represent and how they would interpret it.  I enjoyed this seminar and have every intention of instituting it into my classroom. 

Workshop 2 - Building Confidence in Islamic Students.
   I was hoping I would be able to attend this seminar since one of the cultures I teach is the Middle East.  I've noticed throughout the years that the students have so my misconceptions and biased thoughts about Muslims and Islam.  This workshop introduced to us how Islam and Muslim culture is interwoven into our everyday society; from religion, to medicine, science, math and art.   This is a great method, showing visuals to my classes to help them see the positive side of the people and the religion and how all cultures have benefited from it.  To help them learn more about the culture and have a better appreciation for it, instead of forming negative opinions about the people and religion based on what they hear on TV or from their parents.  This is a definite for the classroom.

My day concluded with listening to the 3 teens of Teen Empowerment and learning how the group had helped them to stay on the straight and narrow and focus on what they truely wanted.  It was fascinating to be introduced to 3 people who had, basically on their own, decided that they wanted more for themselves and wanted more out of life and pulled themselves out of the negative situations they were in.  I did find it interesting that one of the teens stated that it would be better for students who live in poor neighborhoods and attend schools that are struggling to have teachers who have been through what they were going through.  They understand more and can emphathize with them.  My only thought was, you will not have many teachers who have come from your neighborhood or similar neighborhoods to teach you, so you'll have to learn to adjust and do well despite that factor.  If you want an education and you want a better life, deal with what is presented to you and learn to accept who is trying to help you. 

All in all a good experience.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good day, Shannon. It's funny that you heard the teens state that "it would be better for students who live in poor neighborhoods and attend schools that are struggling to have teachers who have been through what they were going through." I believe that is similar to what the students said in the Carter piece we read "Keepin' it Real". I have to say that I disagree with your statement that kids may not have teachers who come from their neighborhoods. (Although I admit that I was unable to attend the conference and I don't know the stories of the students you are referring to.) I know that I come from a working class neighborhood that had many troubled teens. I think my experiences gave me the determination to improve my life and have made me better able to deal with struggling students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I get your point that these students need to adjust to the teachers that are in front of them I think it's important to recognize their issue, it's not about the teachers, it's about looking for an ear to talk to that really understands, and a should to lean on. I mean how many of us want to belong, and be understood? I don't think they were condeming their teachers who were not like them, I think they were just recognizing that they needed more. To me that's big. I mean if they can recognize that then perhaps they can be the ones to change some of the aspects that keep inner city students from becomeing teachers. Perhaps they can challenge the judgements.

    I'm glad your sessions went well. They sound very interesting and I hope they work out well for you!

    ReplyDelete