Blogger Newbie

Feel free to read, enjoy and comment on my blog. I will be blogging weekly regarding articles from my Masters class at Rhode Island College.

Talk to you soon.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Crisis of Significance vs. How about doing it because its required!!

Well, where should I begin?  Are you serious?  Kids can't learn or don't want to learn if we can't relate the message or details to them.  This is the problem with kids today.  They whine, what about me?, how does this affect me?,  why should I do this?....Me Me Me Me.  Guess what, I'm teaching this lesson, I've assigned this material, so do it.  I am so sick and tired of hearing this argument, that kids can't identify with materials so they don't see any need to learn it.  I loved this line "Students-our most important critics-are struggling to find meaning and significance in their education".  How about learning for the sake of learning? How about having knowledge in many areas?   If you study and learn it, maybe you'll find out that it does pertain to you.  Put in the effort.  That's the problem with this generation, they're looking for instant satisfaction and they'll only do things once they find out "whats in it for them".   Mr. Wesch, a college professor, took a survey of his students and found out that less than half did the assigned readings and only 26% of the students perceived the readings to be relevant to their lives.  This seems to me,  more like lack of responsibility versus lack of significance.  Their parents must be paying for their education.
   The author states that one issue that is a significant problem and is permeating our everyday lives is the notion that "some students are just not cut out for school".  I'm not sure I agree that this is a crisis.  He changes the word "school" with "learning" for the wow factor.  I do believe not all kids are school material.  The traditional means of school with the 4 main core subjects and notes and projects, and papers.  Some are more suited for craft learning.  Trades vs Books.  I do believe all students can learn just not what a traditional classroom offers.  I don't find this to be a crisis at all.  "If our students are not cut out for school, perhaps we have made the mold too narrow or inflexible, or more likely, just not meaningful enough to inspire a student to fit in."  Not every child is a round peg fitting into a round hole.  Not every child is school material.   And guess what, life will present them with many situations that are not inspiring, or they may find boring; get over it, deal with it, what are they going to do, bury their head in the sand.  I become so annoyed with my students when I'm trying to teach them something and all they have to add to the lesson is, this is boring, why do we have to learn this stuff?  I know that being a teacher we have many hats to wear.  We are mothers, fathers, guidance counselors, police officers, peace makers, salesmen, nurses, psychiatrists, psychotherapists and entertainers.  But It's not my job to make sure every day that you're entertained. 
   I do agree with helping them develop into critical thinkers, to ask insightful questions that would foster an desire for more knowledge.  And I agree with this statement "education has become a relatively meaningless game of grades rather than an important and meaningful exploration of the world in which we live and co-create.  Thanks to our Education Commissioner, grades are very important.  The students grades and progress will affect a teachers pay and  evaluation.  I would love to have the time to do a little more exploration with my students, but at the junior high level and high school level there are certain things that must be covered and not enough time to get it accomplished.  I'm sure at the college level there is a bit more wiggle room to play with.  And that's another thing, do you know how difficult it is for a 12-13yr old to see the global impact of anything.  They live in a mirrored world, where its all about them.  "The best learning almost always occurs in the absence of a teacher, for it is then that learners are free to pursue with great passion the questions that are meaningful and relevant to their own lives".  Really?  Sounds like an acid trip, "hippie" speak.  Maybe OK for college students, but junior high kids need a lot of guidance. 
   I know there are many problems within the eduction system today, we're bombarded with it almost every day.  But I'm not sure lack of significance is one of them.  Lets teach the kids to open their minds to all knowledge whether it relates to them or not.  I think that's the greater lessen, the sooner they learn that life isn't all about them the more successful they will be.

1 comment:

  1. This seems to me, more like lack of responsibility versus lack of significance.

    I have to second this reaction to the video. The looks on their faces really got to me. It seems as if they are just pointing the fingers directly at the teacher and not taking any responsibility on themselves as learners and as college students who are paying to be there. Why didn't one of them hold up a sign saying the percentage of college students who don't go to class? I think you put it perfectly when you said that the video really shows a lack of responsibility.

    ReplyDelete