Blogger Newbie

Feel free to read, enjoy and comment on my blog. I will be blogging weekly regarding articles from my Masters class at Rhode Island College.

Talk to you soon.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Keepin it Real vs. Acting Real

To start off I have to say that I enjoyed this article, not only because I've witnessed this behavior in and out of the classroom but because it sheds light on something that many people don't understand, acting white vs. being black.  I am one of those people. I'm not always open minded on certain subjects, even though I try.  But this one I don't understand.  Why would anyone choose, and it is a deliberate choice, to speak, at times, incoherently and alienate themselves from mainstream society, causing them to become, in essence, an outcast.  Who wants to be labeled a thug or dumb or unacceptable?  
   The author writes about Delpits research "All of these teachers were able to teach in classrooms the rules for dominant Discourse, allowing students to succeed in mainstream America who were not only born outside of the realms of power and status, but who had no access to status institutions"(pg.48)  This was in reference to Black teachers teaching in majority black schools.  Whats wrong with this?   Why wouldn't a teacher give his or her students the necessary keys to success?  The job of a teacher is to make sure their students have the fundamentals in order to, not only succeed in mainstream America but also be perceived in a positive light as an upstanding citizen.  These tools that are taught go a long way towards accomplishments within the power of culture.
   One of the phrases that stood out to me is on pg.50 "Dominant cultural capital provides students with access to certain attitudes, styles, preferences, and tastes that enable their entry into high status social groups, organizations, or institutions.  It armors students with awareness".  Every culture has their dominant capital and the goal is or should be the same.  To be a functioning and  contributing member of society.  Why is it that many black people don't see this?  I see and hear how the entertainment personalities reach today's youth.  Saggy pants, large medallions around their neck, and improper English.  But guess what, their success is limited to less than 1% of the African American population. That act won't work for everyone.  In the meantime learn how to speak,act and dress properly. 
   I do understand that many kids feel that in order to get along with their peers in the neighborhood they must act like the culture around them.  But when did speaking appropriately and in complete sentences become a symbol of white supremacy?  "Acting white refers to their refusal to adhere to the cultural default setting in US society, to what is seen as normative or "natural" (pg.53)  Why is this?  Is it that many African Americans don't like white people so they prefer to be as opposite of them as possible? 
   I grew up watching  The Cosby Show and Benson, which portrayed African American men, women and children as educated, successful and well spoken.  Where they "acting white"?  I don't think so.  I would find it insulting as a person of color if anyone suggested  the way I dress, act, speak or my hobbies was against who I really was and that I was betraying my culture.  I find it demeaning and derogatory to label anyone of color who dresses appropriately, listens to anything but rap or hip hop and who is cultured as a traitor to their race or a counterfiet African American.  If one wants to act this way in their neighborhood and among their family and friends, so be it.  But in the real world it doesn't cut it.  I wouldn't hire anyone who came into an interview and spoke they way some of the individuals in the article spoke or dressed.  It's not racist or close mindedness, its common sense.  If people who want to buck the norm and go so opposite of it then expect to be labeled regardless of your intelligence, because America is an establishment built on judging a book by its cover.  Its wrong to do so, but you must learn the lingo. 

1 comment:

  1. Peer pressure is such a dominating force that we seem to be unable to counteract the effects of it. This is not only the minorities but it is also a factor in all socioeconomic classes. We all succumb to peer pressure at one time or another; sometimes in a positive light, and other times negatively.

    ReplyDelete